Remy's Skillet Ratatouille
- 1 large eggplant or 2 Italian eggplants (1 inch cubes)
- 1 zucchini about 9 inches in length (1 inch cubes)
- 1/8 cup olive oil (evo)
- 1 yellow pepper ( 1 inch squares)
- 1 large onion (medium dice)
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 tin of tomatoes (400 ml) Italian Pomodorino tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme1
- sprig of rosemary
- 1 tsp sugar
- optional 1/2 tsp Sambal chili paste
- salt + fresh ground pepper
Here is a tasty meal that you can practice your knife skills to prepare. The goal is to plank, stick and cube the eggplant and zucchini into nice 1 inch cubes and the pepper into 1 inch squares. Set aside the cubed vegetables at your prep station in small bowls. Now using the proper onion and shallot technique cut these to medium dice. Rough slice the 3 garlic cloves and have them ready along with the Pomodorino tomatoes.
- Put EVO into skillet along with the onions, shallot and garlic
- Add sprigs of thyme, rosemary and sambal chili and saute for a 2 mins
- Add all vegetable cubes to pan + stir. After 5 minutes of cooking add the Pomodorino's
- Cook at low heat until ratatouille becomes tender and flavorful. Adjust salt + pepper.
This rustic French vegetable stew may become a regular meal in your kitchen and will improve your dicing and cubing skills considerably. Enjoy.
Shogun Knife Company.,
440 Laurier Ave W Suite 200
Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7X6
©2010 Loon Lake Design